When we set out to start Rosehive, we wanted a way to bring quality superfood ingredients to your house at a price you could afford. One of the ways we can do this is by sourcing raw, superfood powders closer to the source and the farmers that grow these crops. Without choosing a “brand”, we keep the costs down without compromising on quality!
Meet The Supplier: Starwest Botanicals
Starwest Botanicals started as a small retail herb shop in 1975 in Sacramento, California. When Starwest began selling herbs wholesale, they faced competition from more-established herb companies. Through their business model of selling high quality herbs at a good price, they were able to grow into the supplier they are today: complete with an in house lab testing and solar energy!
Q U A L I T Y
The Ashwagandha root powder found in October’s box comes from India. It is:
- Certified Kosher by Kosher Certification services.
- Certified Organic by QAI (Quality Assurance International)
- Batch tested for heavy metals, Salmonella, E Coli, Yeast and Mold, Herbicides and Pesticides to ensure safety
- GMO free – Starwest Botanicals never sells irradiated product.
Why all of this technical mambo-jambo? BECAUSE it is YOUR BODY! You want to ensure you are using quality ingredients that actually WORK for the purpose you intend.
The Power of Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha is hands down one of our favorite adaptogens! Also known as Indian ginseng and poison gooseberry, ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is a plant from the tomato family native to India, which has been a staple of Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb, meaning it assists the to body restore its balance, helping it respond to outside stressors such as toxins and environmental stress, as well as hormonal issues, anxiety and insomnia. Long prized for its ability to calm and promote restful sleep (somnifera translates to “inducing sleep” in Latin), it’s a common ingredient in over-the-counter sleep supplements and some medications, and has gained more recent recognition for its use as an adaptogen.
The Benefits of Ashwagandha are proven through ancient wisdom:
- assisting the body in regulating its response to both internal and external stressors such as anxiety and environmental toxins
- strengthening the immune system
- regulating blood sugar
- toning the adrenals
- works with your body to regulate hormones, which in turn helps to regulate the thyroid, lowers cortisol levels, reduces stress and anxiety, and balances blood sugar levels
- the unique ability to both energize and invigorate, and promote relaxation and restful sleep
- has been found to boost memory and cognition, and may even make you feel a little extra sexy (yes, both men and women).
How To Use Ashwagandha
Powdered ashwagandha is widely available and mixes easily into milks and smoothies, a helpful attribute depending on your personal taste, as many people find the flavor of ashwagandha a bit too woody and slightly bitter. The traditional use for Ashwagandha is as a powder is mixed with warm milk and honey, and taken before bed for calming vata and fostering healthy sleep patterns, reproductive system, and strength. A general dose is usually 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon once or twice daily. Adding in a small amount of fat helps to aid in absorption such as: coconut oil, almond butter, or coconut butter. To reap the energizing rewards of ashwagandha as a functional food, mix it into your morning oatmeal, yogurt or smoothie. On the flip side, try it as a night tonic for a relaxing way to wind down the day and enhance sleep.
How are you enjoying October’s box so far? We are so grateful for you!
Discover a world of superfoods. Try Rosehive Superfoods Box!