January‘s Rosehive Superfoods Box came with alfalfa sprouting seeds to grow your own sprouts at home! Alfalfa sprouts are the shoots of the alfalfa plant, harvested before they become the full-grown plant. They may be small, but they are packed with nutrition, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, & enzymes that help protect against free radical damage. Alfalfa in particular is a good source of vitamins A, B, C, D, E, F, and K (which makes them a #superfood!). Alfalfa sprouts contain just 8 calories and 0 grams of fat per cup.
THEY TASTE GREAT IN SALADS, WRAPS, SMOOTHIES OR ON SANDWICHES
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A mason jar
- Cheese cloth
- Rubber Band
- Alfalfa seeds
- Put 2 tablespoons of seeds into the jar.
- Cover the seeds with a few inches of cool water
- Cover the top of the jar with cheese cloth and secure with a rubber band
- Allow the seeds to soak overnight, then drain off the water
- For the next few days, rinse the seeds in the morning and evening by filling the jar with some water, swishing the seeds around, and draining them. Store the jar in a spot away from direct sunlight.
- Watch as your seeds begin to sprout!
Follow these instructions to grow your own alfalfa sprouts and don’t forget to show us your creations by hashtagging #RosehiveBox!